Monday, July 14, 2008

WS Street Fair / Carl Owens Golf Tournament

Friday, I made it by the Street Fair late to do my yearly uzshe: got Henna'd and bought sunglasses. This year, I chose the symbol 'The Way' since it smacked of a distant relevence to a consistent and divine golf swing. The gal doing the work had great cleavage (since she's applying it to my inside forearm, there aren't too many other places to look). Stopped by Jen's hut and said HI. I couldn't stick around and talk to her long; she was busy running the joint while her lump of a coworker proceeded to do nothing but text away with one leg up.

Pete & I had a blast at the Golf Tournament. I picked him up way too early for the trip. No regrets, it made for a relaxing, unhurried day. It was nice to see his family again, though Holden - now age three - kept asking "Where's Michelle? - Where's Michelle?" I thought it was funny, D'arcy looked discomfit, and I'm impressed that at his age he even remembers.

So we were early enough to hit a bucket of balls before shotgun. My first drive was perfect. My first pitch was perfect. I left the range at Carnation feeling really good about my swing.

I shot a 118. That's about 15 over my average. This, in a year where I really want to break 100. I contribute this to: a) My drives were hot or cold. When they were cold, they were 'goodbye, I'll never see that ball again' cold. So I did a lot of hitting 3 off the tee. b) The rough. The coordinator for the tourney complained about it as well: it was poorly maintained and ate up a lot of balls. Really, I shanked a couple I should have been able to find easily. More penalty strokes. c) After 5 holes, I summed up where I was at, and decided that I wasn't going to break 100 anyways, so I may as well start drinking. Which I did with gusto.

I love chatting up the beer-cart girls.

As horrible as my score turned out to be, it was also a day of some of my most amazing shots. For me, anyways. On a short par 4, I almost drove the green. My ball ended up dead center, ten yards shy. I don't think I've had a better drive. Also, due to the sly mechanics of the Calloway system of scoring, I managed to beat Pete (really, only the net matters to us, so I don't feel like I beat Pete). I walked out of there with a new golfing bag, Pete with a beverage cooler. It was a long drive back, and I resigned myself to not going to the Street Fair for the Saturday night Dance Party. I don't think I could handle getting drunk twice in a day.

Sunday, I made 2 trips to the fair: I needed to hit the Farmer's Market in the morning (stock up on flowers), and I wanted to see Carrie Akre in the afternoon. I came back with so much more from the morning trip: an earful from Jen, still holding the fort down, and...comics! I spent about 45 minutes under the hot sun looking for Fantastic Four's I didn't already own. I bought seven, when I got home I realized I already had 5 of them. I also stopped by the Rat City Roller Girls to see if they new some of the people I remembered from the rink, and they did! But they weren't going to show up until later. I bought a RCRG shirt and made my way home.

After playing guitar at home for a couple hours, I headed back. I was behind on time, so I quietly waved to Cali & Jen as I made my way to the North Stage. Carrie was amazing. I haven't followed her solo career fanatically, but I love the most recent album - and her band. She was behind schedule starting, so I snuck in for a quick beer and texted Juan to come join (no response). I finished up, Carrie started up and it was one of those intimate experiences because you are watching it all alone. I really enjoyed it, along with the crazy scarf hippie who danced away several feet from me. He persuaded a couple people to join him, and handed out his business cards to them (I really secretly wanted one, but I didn't want to be lulled into public dancing. I mean, what is it that he's selling?).

That was the weekend, in sum. Now back to work.

1 comment:

Snotty McSnotterson said...

I still can't believe you're a golfer. Then again, I saw that shirt yesterday--total golfing material. With matching shoes! :)