Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A Prayer for Hank

Or Henry. I have about 7K worth of words scattered amongst 3 voices. It is going nowhere fast, people. Casanova was to be my big deal; my tribute to the most selfish - yet charming - person I ever met. It was supposed to be my first attempt at method acting (because I'm neither of those); my first real short story. Don't know how to stitch all of this together. Don't know if it will ever get done.

I wanted to see if I could set about it like a task. Tell myself I'm going to write for a couple hours, and actually DO IT. I recognize the achievement is rather small, in the scope of things. But this has dragged on for so long...the initial takes that I did write, the notes I wrote in my little notebook - they've had time to simmer and get very cold. When I read them, they already look fumbling and amateurish (though I know deep down the whole effort isn't going to bowl anyone over) and only distantly relevent to things I've written over the past couple weeks.

I dunno. Perhaps I'll attack it and write the whole thing from scratch. If I'm going to do this at all, it's unavoidable! But really, I'm hoping tomorrow-me...because today-me is getting 'meh' about the endeavor...gets a passion about Hank.

Perhaps Hank isn't as likable as he is charming. There's a certain point you get with people, when you really start to see them.

2 comments:

Snotty McSnotterson said...

Must I sound like a boring Nike commercial every time I comment? "JUST DO IT". Or, grab a beer and enjoy the weather--usually when brilliance strikes, it's beautiful out and I miss the whole shebang. Let that be a lesson to you.

FreNeTic said...

Not saying you must. But it does make a difference!

And I'm not looking for a rah-rah contingent. This one has been bugging me. Mebbe even, a bit more than my kitchen remodel.