Friday, July 25, 2008

File Under Things To Do Before I Die

I want. Not to belabor the Prince kick I've enjoyed lately, but I had to toss in this fashion addendum. I arrived at work obsessed with hunting down the...well, any really...polka dot suit. If you start out with Google, like I did - good luck. Nobody is making and marketing men's polka dot suits online. Sure, you can have one custom made, I'm sure of it. I'm not budgeted for custom-made suits right now. I'm not the greatest search engine driver either, and my efforts went unrewarded.

But I know a polka-dot suit exists; I have the same Uptown fanzine from which this screen-scrape was taken (note the opposite page imprints ruining an otherwise stark black and white photo). I was a bit frustrated that I couldn't find this LoveSexy-era pic in digital...I think its one of the coolest photos of Mr. Nelson, and though he's always flirted with polka, I've never seen it so overwhelmingly so.

I would of course lose the reflecting mirror heart corsage (there's a better view of it in the pic below; this one just shows up as a light-catching glare). I would also lose the heels and go for something more contemporary - probably some Stacy Adams. I might try LeRoy's next week and see if they have something on hand. I dunno, the last time I stepped into LeRoy's, I got a lot of "you're no pimp!" stares, and zero customer service.

Even if I get this suit, there's a problem with occasion. Once I found my suit - once I proved something like it exists - I had to share it with co-workers. "And where exactly do you plan on wearing it?" "I dunno, somebody's wedding?" I replied. "Hah. You can't upstage the bride!" Whatever. I'll find an occasion; perhaps I'll just ask to be buried in it.

(The Til Eulenspiegal part of me thinks, well, if I don't like the bride? I might just wear it anyway. The Sam Louis Obispo part of me just want to wear it all the time - with a matching bowler & cane, steppin' out.)

2 comments:

Manthony said...

If you do get into the bespoke arena, you might want to check out Michael Cepress on Capitol Hill. (www.michaelcepress.com) I'm sure he could whip something up for you. Plus, his shop is really cool in general.

FreNeTic said...

That's pretty slick stuff, thanks for the tip!