Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Death of a Salesman

Lyrics to a song by Low, that touch me in a big way:

Death of a Salesman

So I took my guitar
And I threw down some chords
And some words I could sing
Without shame

And I soon had a song
I played it around
For some friends
But they all said the same

They said music's for fools
You should go back to school
The future is prisons
And math

So I did what they said
Now my children are fed
'Cause they pay me to do
What I'm asked

I forgot all my songs
The words now are wrong
And I burned my guitar
In a rage

But the fire came to rest
In your white velvet breast
So somehow
I just know
That it's safe

A nice little acoustic number I think a lot of people who have given up on music can relate to. I had it in a collection of songs I was going to burn for someone, along with Trouble by Kristen Hersh, It's Different for Girls by Joe Jackson, Out of Reaches by Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks (the centre piece), Full Moon in My Soul by Robyn Hitchcock, Humble Bee by John Wesley Harding. And a half dozen others. But really, burning a CD of songs is kind of cliche; I deleted the collection.

4 comments:

Snotty McSnotterson said...

Call me crazy, but I thought that set list sounded good.

FreNeTic said...

I miss the mixed tape.

It's a little sad I can give you 600 songs that may or may not mean something to you...

Unknown said...

John Wesley harding, lol!

FreNeTic said...

Hmmm...JWH is the shit. The most charming shit I've seen on stage. I mean, gangsta folk?

If you've got a Harding story, give it up! Do tell.