Saturday, April 12, 2008

Sweet Sixteen

The first guests are due to arrive soon. Following a week of working nights - sleep deprivation, metabolism abuse and mood swings - I scheduled a dinner party for 8-10 people. I've never done this before. My ex did it plenty, and I would contribute my 12%...actually my contribution would usually revolve around cleaning up afterwards (this was our dynamic, in a nutshell). But I've never initiated a project like this - and never alone. And some caveats need to be pointed out.

1. I don't cook. I will be your cook.
2. I've never mixed a drink. I'm having a tough time resolving Ounces to the little dashes on my measuring cup, though I want to believe there is some mystical correlation.
3. I'm eager to entertain, yet horribly uninteresting at the same time. Just smile and nod.
4. I've been a bachelor for 8 months. Certain parts of the house have an olfactory reflection of this.
5. Though proud of the work I've gotten done on the house - it's only half done. (hint: if you come in through the back door, you're working from the bottom up).
6. Try as I might to fix it: the bathroom sink burps when you flush the toilet. There's a trick - if you run the water right after you flush, there's no chance of anything splashing at you.
7. Don't test the kitten.

Yet, I'm giddy about this too. I thought I'd have to reach a state of perfection before planning this - something I've always wanted to do - then realized perfection isn't happening in my lifetime. I know that once people arrive, all the stress will go away and I won't feel the berating monologue that's been droning in my head for the past week. It will all be good.

1 comment:

Snotty McSnotterson said...

I thought you did fab. And the house was amazing, especially since you're straight.