Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Old Wares


And my other recent addition - as of a couple weeks ago: finally, a home for my books. I can't believe I've survived to this age settling to relegate these books to the basement.
This proably accounts for 1/4 of the books I'm happy to say I read, and a system of superficial requirements were engaged to eliminate the bulk:
1. Penguin Classic? You had to go.
2. Vintage Books look pretty.
3. Non-Contemporary Hardback? You're in.
4. Have I read you four times without breaking your spine? You're in.
5. Do I remember reading you? You're out.
6. Do you make me look smarter? You're in.
Also pictured: Studio Gibson Les Paul, adored because it has a stained, NOT a laquered finish; guitar tablature open to Uncle Remus by Frank Zappa - a song that has no business being played on guitar (it was meant for piano); binder case chock full of printed guitar tablatures from the internet (thank you company resources); framed print of the last thing I drew in 1989 - dessicated body; rat-sized dust/cat-fur ball angling for escape via air vent.

2 comments:

Snotty McSnotterson said...

My qualifying question (which is a lot like -will it make me look smart-): Will it intimidate OTHER smart people?

FreNeTic said...

That's a good point. I may have Finnegan's Wake on the shelf, but I don't have my manuals, annotations and essays on how to read it. Duly noted.